Saturday 21 July 2012

Battle of Eye Shadow Primers!

Today I will be comparing 3 different eyeshadow primers ranging in different price ranges. Urban Decay Primer Potion, Essence I love Stage Eyeshadow Base and Australis Eyeshadow Primer.

1) Australis Eyeshadow Primer
From Left to Right: Eyeshadow swatch with the primer, without and swatch of the primer
 This primer retails for $12.95 which is I guess reasonable for Australian makeup. I don't really like the packaging as it is really hard to get the product out, you hardly get any out. Also its very unhygienic as it has a sponge applicator. It's very sheer so works well for all different skin tones. I have also noticed that its quite greasy but its a great primer and does its job by keeping eyeshadow on longer and making the shades of eyeshadow more vibrant.

Packaging: 2/5
Pros: Makes eyeshadow last longer, affordable
Cons: Packaging, the products a little greasy 
Price: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

2) Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base
Essence is a newer brand that has come out it Australia and started out in European countries. Essence is sold at Target and now most Pricelines are starting to stock it! This product I believe is limited edition but I got it not that long ago from Priceline as there is still a section for it on all the displays around. (I recommend getting Essence from priceline as the products aren't all used and opened.)
This like all the primers I'm comparing has a sponge applicator. The consistency is quite thick and the colour is opaque. It's a warm skin tone colour that can be used as a base, primer and a concealer. As the product is thick it is good for covering any discoloration from the eyelids. I haven't found this product to make my eyeshadow last much longer compared to my other primers but it does make the eyeshadow more vibrant, as you can see in the picture. I prefer to use this as a base for my concealer as it really brightens up the under eye area and makes my concealer last longer. This may not be good for all skin tones as the colour is quite fair. As you read above i'm not a fan of packaging but I will admit the product comes out a lot easier than the Australis one and you get plenty of it.
This retails for $4.95 and you get 4ml or 0.13 fl.oz

Packaging: 3/5
Pros: Great concealer base, price consistency, shade, versatile product
Cons: It does not make eyeshadow stay on as long as other primers but it does also depend on the eyeshadow you use
Price: 5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

3) Urban Decay Primer Potion
Now this product is probably the most well known and most hyped about eye shadow primer. I will be review the original one and it is small sized as this is the one that came with my naked palette. In the States this primer retails for $20 but Urban Decay is not sold in Australia so you can get if off beautybay.com for roughly $23 AUD Depending on the exchange rates.This is a UK based website that does free international shipping!

I have swatched the primer but is not showing up on the camera. This primer comes in other shades but this is the original. It is quite sheer and makes your eyeshadow very vibrant. It also has amazing staying power. This item is a bit of a splurge but if you want a top quality eyeshadow primer this is the one to get. The packaging is now a squeezy tube as there were way too many complaints on the genie bottle one(The one I have). This works for all skin tones and types. It also easy to blend and great for night outs.

Packaging (new, not one featured): 4.5/5
Pros: Makes Eyeshadows last a long time, vibrant
Cons: Price, not available in Australia
Price: 2/5 (Kinda expensive for an eyeshadow primer)
Overall: 4.5/5

So I hope these reviews helped and you enjoyed this blog post.

xx

2 comments:

  1. yaaaay you have a blog too....im a follower, would love if you followed back gorgeous! xo

    http://beautywithgenevieve.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thankyou :) I follow your blog already :) xo

      Delete